As promised, lunchbox inspiration for moms that have a day like I do today: work, wash my car, defrost my deep freeze, do groceries, write a blog, clean the house I neglected all weekend, school run, homework, play and probably a bunch of other things my pregnant brain has forgotten already!
As much as id love to, I dont always have time to make heart shaped sarmies (except on Valentines day <3) and want to add exciting and healthy things to the snack box - there is nothing worst then that soggy cucumber and cheese sarmie at 10.15!
So over the next few weeks here are some things that are quick and easy to make and will last for more then one day :)!
"We forgot to eat that fruit and its looking a bit dodgy muffin" trick
2 cups cake flour
2tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb
90g soft butter
1/4 cup honey
Chuck this all in a bowl and mix together with a spoon, fork, knife, beater, whatever...
Add your "dodgy fruit", here are a few ideas:
- 3 ripe bananas and a sprinkling of cinnamon (you know when they go a little too soft to eat after a hot day or if they were left in the lunchbox all day only to be returned to the fruit bowl looking a bit brown)
- 2 or 3 grated apples (you can keep all the half eaten and "ive had enough apples" for this) and a sprinkling of cinnamon or ginger
- a couple of grated carrots, pecan nuts and some cinnamon and nutmeg
- replace the flour with nutty wheat and add raisins and nuts for a bran muffin
- a couple of cups of fresh/frozen berries, brambles work well if you are a farmer!
- be creative and use whats at home, in the garden, left over or lying around :)
- Grease a muffin dish
- Spoon the mixture into the 12 comaprtments
- Cook at 180 C for 20 to 25 mins
- Allow to cool and freeze in an airtight container
In the morning you can take one out, cover in wax paper and lunchbox it - by the time its tea time they have defrosted :), these are also great as breakfast treats for the husband or breakfast on the go for busy mums :).
This gives you 12 days to add a heathy treat to the lunchbox and you can mix things up by adding toppings such as honey, butter, cheese and all your kids favorites :).